When you exercise regularly, your body needs to be replenished with the right nutrients to help you recover and to make progress in your fitness goals. Eating the right food after a workout is just as important as the pre-workout meal. Here we look at the top 10 foods for post-workout recovery to help you refuel and get the most out of your workout.
- Protein powder – Protein powder is a convenient way to get your daily protein hit and helps with muscle repair after training. Aim for at least 20-30 grams of protein post-workout to help your body recover and grow.
- Greek Yogurt – Greek yogurt is full of probiotics, which are great for gut health. It also helps your body replenish energy stores after a workout and contains good amounts of calcium and protein.
- Oatmeal – Oatmeal is a great source of carbohydrates and helps your body to replenish energy stores after a workout. It is also packed with powerful antioxidants and dietary fiber.
- Bananas – Bananas are a great source of carbohydrates and are also packed with vitamins and minerals. They are a great snack option for a post-workout refuel.
- Berries – Berries contain powerful antioxidants, fiber and are a great source of natural energy. They are also naturally sweet and can help your body to recover quickly after a workout.
- Chicken Breast – Chicken breast is a lean source of protein that helps the body to recover quickly after a workout. It also contains a good amount of selenium, which helps to reduce muscle damage and optimize performance.
- Peanuts – Peanuts contain good amounts of protein as well as healthy fats that help the body to recover quickly.
- Sweet Potato – Sweet potato is a great source of complex carbohydrates, which help to replenish energy stores. It also contains a good amount of vitamin A, an essential nutrient for post-workout recovery.
- Quinoa – Quinoa is a complete protein, containing all of the essential amino acids. It is a great source of fiber and helps to reduce any post-workout inflammation.
- Green Leafy Vegetables – Green leafy vegetables are packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. They also help to reduce post-workout inflammation, allowing your body to recover quickly.
When you combine a personalized workout program from our fitness trainers at Jacked Up Gym with the proper nutrition plan, you are well on your way to meeting your goals and optimizing your overall health. Contact us today and schedule a free demo and evaluation with one of our personal trainers.